- Residential heating systems need regular tune-ups. Contact a Revere Gas location near you to inquire about a home heating system inspection program.
- Change your furnace filter monthly. Clean filters will save you money on your heating bill.
- Consider investing in a furnace thermostat timer that can save money by lowering your home’s temperature when you are not at home.
- Protect against drafts around windows and doors by caulking and weather-stripping.
- If you are purchasing a fireplace, consider selecting one fueled by propane. Propane fireplaces burn more efficiently than wood-burning models and distribute heat more evenly throughout the room.
- You can save up to 10% on your water heating bill by lowering your water heater’s thermostat 10 degrees.
- To extend your water heater’s life and increase energy efficiency, drain it every six months to remove lime deposits and sediment.
- Install flow-restricting shower heads. You can reduce hot water usage by up to 50 percent without affecting shower pressure.
- Repair leaky faucets. A leak that fills a coffee cup in 10 minutes wastes 3,200 gallons of water a year.
- Gas ranges with electronic ignition systems will use 40 percent less energy than a standing pilot system.
- Be sure that all burners are burning with a blue, cone-shaped flame. A yellow flame indicates clogged air inlets or burners that need adjustment. Contact your local Revere Gas office immediately if you do not see a blue flame.
- Check the seal on your oven door. Gaps or tears in the seal will let heat escape and waste energy.