Propane is one of the safest residential energy sources out there. With tanks that are “20 times more puncture resistant” than ethanol, methanol and gasoline tanks and a low flammability rating, you can feel at ease when using propane to heat your home and/or run appliances (Florida Propane Gas). As long as you know the facts about propane and understand related safety measures, you don’t have to worry about accidents. It’s also important that the whole family gets in on the action. Even very young children can and should learn about propane safety. Walk your kids through the following topics:
- What propane is and where it comes from
- How propane is used in your home
- What propane smells like
- Your family’s emergency plan in the event of a propane leak
Propanekids.com is an excellent resource for parents who want to teach their kids about propane safety. Along with home “inspection” checklists, safety lesson plans and even educational coloring pages, Propanekids.com provides interactive games to help propane safety make sense to little ones. Above all, it makes learning fun!
While the kids are becoming propane safety experts, you can too. Here are a few tips for living with propane in and around the home:
- Be able to recognize the smell of propane (rotten eggs!) so you can detect leaks.
- Install propane leak detectors in addition to carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.
- Avoid modifying your propane system. Call the service professionals at Revere instead.
- Before doing any major renovations or landscaping, be sure to call a propane service technician to confirm that you won’t damage any gas lines.
- Clean your furnace regularly.
- When using a gas range, flames should be blue. Yellow or orange flames can signal a leak or air blockage.
- If you suspect a propane leak, try not to touch electrical appliances until it is repaired (including light switches).
Since propane keeps the whole family comfortable, we here at Revere believe that propane safety is a family affair. Our expert service technicians make safety the highest priority and happily partner with you in promoting security, responsibility and comfort every day. Call or contact Revere today with any concerns, comments or questions. And be sure to follow Revere on Facebook and Twitter for the very latest service updates and community news!