A popular suggestion in online forums is to turn off the pilot light on your gas fireplace once the weather warms up. The idea is you save the propane gas that usually keeps the pilot light burning, and since you won’t be using the fireplace, you don’t have to worry about it not being instantly ready.
In addition to saving money and gas, you also remove a heat source when you would rather keep your home cool. While a pilot light doesn’t put out a great deal of heat, it can be enough to keep the fireplace glass warm The good news is that turning off your fireplace’s pilot light won’t hurt anything. However, you should be aware of spiders!
Industry experience shows that spiders and other insects are attracted to the smell of the additives in propane gas! Turning off your pilot light means there can be trace amounts of propane still in the pipe — not enough to be a danger, but enough to attract spiders. And they can often find their way into the fireplace and leave webs or nests that should be cleaned out before using the fireplace again in the fall.
If you do decide to turn off your pilot light, Revere Gas technicians are available to help in the fall, performing a full service hearth cleaning and gas log checkup. We’ll also re-light the pilot for you and test the system so it’s ready to go when the temperatures drop again.
As always, if you have questions about this or any other propane or gas appliance article, please give us a call.