We are in the midst of hurricane season here on the east coast, and it’s a good time to remind you of a few safety tips for you and your home in the case of a storm:
- Have a plan ready in case of emergency, and review it with your family. Include a list of contacts for emergency services and for your propane dealer.
- If you don’t already have an emergency kit, prepare one to keep in your home. Your kit should include up to 72 hours worth of drinking water, non-perishable foods, batteries and a flashlight.
- If you have a generator, check to make sure it works and that the tank is filled.
- If you must evacuate your home, be sure that you have turned off your propane supply and have shut off your power supply.
- After a storm passes and the area is safe, check your home, propane tank and propane appliances, and power lines for damage. If it is dark, be sure to use a flashlight and never a candle.
- Never use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas, and be sure you have a working carbon monoxide detector.
For more information about propane safety during a storm, visit propane.com